A lot has changed since I first started with this DA journey. One of the main changes is that I started working on the same DA idea with my classmate stella on ‘The Future of The Social Makeover Au’. To get an idea you can access stella’s pitch Here
How we approached this DA, is through a 3 part youtube series that addresses our goals for the future:
- Short term goals (Now to 12 Months) –> with blog
- Medium term goals (1-3 years) –> with blog
- Long term goals (5-10 Years)
With set roles in the business, we focused on creating a research informed plan that could lead us towards achieving our future goals. My main role in the business is in customer relations, but I would also be an all rounder. Depending on the goal a plan would be created where I created plans on how and what to schedule as social media posts, How to social media manage and how to collaborate with influencers and brands.
One of the experiences is that scheduling and planning tasks and curating posts became a lot easier. By setting tasks weekly it became a lot easier to keep up with tasks and stay on track of each client. Using the app Planoly has also made it easier to schedule posts on Instagram.
By premaking and setting dates for the posts, we wouldn’t have future worries about inconsistent posting. However, a limitation we came across is during client briefing calls, most clients wouldn’t allow us to post their projects onto our socials until they do so on theirs. This gave us no content to post on the main instagram page to build our online presence.
To link back to Future Cultures materials, our DA was highly influenced by Wendell Bell of Future Studies, who suggests that we need to examine patterns of the “past and present in order to anticipate the possibility and the potential of future events and trends” (Moore, 2019). Based on this we analysed the past and current performance of the business through a SWOT analysis to understand our strengths and weaknesses. This guided us in creating a plan that avoided a future where our weaknesses would have affected the business.
Considering that I changed my DA, I wasn’t able to build on feedback from a pitch. However, by messaging the tutor of the change it was recommended that stella and I approach the DA from different perspectives. As showcased in our videos, we would focus on different goals based on our roles in the business and come together to link and bounce off each other’s ideas.
Overall, we can see high potential and significant growth to this DA. In the future, we would love to see ‘The Social Makeover Au’ to become a renowned Marketing/branding business that will have its own office space with a professional team, working with big projects and big clients. This DA has taught us to think of the big picture and to mentally/physically prepare it for its future growth into success.
- AGCAS 2020, ‘Social Media Manager’, Prospects, Weblog post, n.a., available at: <https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/social-media-manager#:~:text=As%20a%20social%20media%20manager,and%20managing%20projects%20and%20campaigns.>
- Cooper, P 2021, ‘The best time to post on Facebook Instagram, twitter, and linkedin’, Hootsuite, weblog post, 19 May, viewed 10 May 2022, <ttps://blog.hootsuite.com/best-time-to-post-on-facebook-twitter-instagram/>
- Dam Morin-van, D 2021, ‘How Social Media Managers and Influencers can Best Work Together’, Social media pro, Weblog post, 29 July, available at: <https://socialmediapro.com/blog/social-media-managers-influencers-work-together/
- McLachlan, S 2021, ‘how often to post to social media in 2022, Hootsuite, weblog post, 16 June, viewed 10 May 2022, <https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-often-to-post-on-social-media/#:~:text=It%20is%20generally%20recommended%20to%20post%201%20time%20per%20day,shares%201.55%20posts%20per%20day.>
- Moore, C 2019, ‘BCCM 325 Futures Thinking: Trajectories and planning– Part two’, Video, Youtube, viewed 17 March 2022,BCM 325 Futures Thinking: Trajectories and Planning – Part Two
- The Happy Arkansan, 2019, ‘27 things to post on social media as a freelancer’, The Happy Arkansan, weblog post, 4 March, viewed 10 May 2022, <https://thehappyarkansan.com/blog/social-media-freelancer/>